Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to my blog!!

Welcome all to my very first post on my very first blog! Thanks for taking a peek at it, and please bear with me as I navigate the ins and outs. No doubt the layout will change constantly as I experiment with new ideas and formats.
A bit of background to get us started:
I'm an aussie expat, living in Dubai with my husband, who was lucky enough to get a great job over here at a time when so many are being made redundant. I'm still looking for work, so I have enough time on my hands to create and maintain a blog, and to read the blogs of others!

You can expect to see a lot of photos of Dubai, as we continue to explore this amazing city and its surrounds, and to read a lot about our experiences here. Who knows, I may even branch out to share my own brand of wisdom!

For now, let's stick with the experiences! We went to a social event today organised by my husband's (let's call him AL) work. A whole crowd of us gathered at the Atlantis hotel for a fantastic meal at Kaleidoscope restaurant. The buffet was amazing - such a variety of food and so fresh. I managed 2 helpings plus dessert, while some had 3 helpings, dessert and room to spare!After lunch we visited the Lost Chambers - an aquarium. Actually you can see a lot of the aquarium from inside the hotel without paying the AED100 entrance fee, but AL and I have always loved these places and had a great time peering in at the fish, stingrays and the whale shark. Take a look at some of the pictures:




The jellyfish looked simply stunning - there were some great electric blue ones as well, but lighting is always difficult in an aquarium, and this was about the best shot I could come up with of the jellyfish.






















According to the information brochure, this is a miner's suit, worn to protect miners when they journeyed to the centre of the earth.














I've always loved starfish - it is so weird to touch them though!



































My friend here is a bit blurry, but he is such a cool character, he deserves a place on the blog!








Majestic stingrays always provide a spectacle.




Just beautiful!



Part of the ceiling at Atlantis hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment