Thursday, July 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Celebrities

Do you read celebrity memoirs? Which ones have you read or do you want to read? Which nonexistent celebrity memoirs would you like to see?

In high school music class we were encouraged to read about famous musicians and to report on them to the class. I remember reading about Ray Charles. I had no idea who Ray Charles was at the time, but remember taking his autobiography with me on a camping trip during the holidays, and I was so blown away by his story.
Last year I read the autobiography of Sidney Poitier, which was incredibly well written and insightful.

I don't go out of my way though to read celebrity memoirs usually, as they are often just read like "I did this, and the I did this and then that went wrong and then I did this..." Unless very well written and honest, and not just a fleshed out version of a career, autobiography can be a bit tedious and self-serving. Much prefer to read biographies about celebrities.

Can't think of any celeb whose life story I am dying to read right now...it seems like as soon as a person gains any sort of fame or notoriety these days there is a rush to put out a book about them. So, no, am more than happy to wait for the next celebrity read to fall into my lap.

11 comments:

  1. I've never really thought about reading celebrity memoirs, but reading these posts makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your answer...very insightful...I haven't read any biography tho

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read two memoirs, but I don't really go out of my way to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I did this, and the I did this and then that went wrong and then I did this..."

    As far as I can recall I've only ever read one,but thats a perfect description of what it was like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love Ray Charles, I have never thought of reading his biography but I am going to have a look for it! Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're fun to read. I don't expect great writing but usually they're just a good light read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, most 'memoirs' are probably ghost written anyway. I would also prefer to biographies if I were to read about celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh...Ray Charles, I've seen the movie and loved it. Also, Walk the line. I haven't read the book though, I think it might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right - most celebrities these days just use their memoir to further their careers. I'd rather read memoirs of notorious historical figures instead.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always thought a well-written biography was better than most memoirs.

    ReplyDelete