Thursday, June 25, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Hot!

Now that summer is here (in the northern hemisphere, anyway), what is the most “Summery” book you can think of? The one that captures the essence of summer for you?

(I’m not asking for you to list your ideal “beach reading,” you understand, but the book that you can read at any time of year but that evokes “summer.”)


I can't really think of a book that evokes summer for me.

Hmmmmm. Thinking, thinking.

Nope. The only thing I can come up with is The Wind in the Willows. Thinking about the book itself doesn't immediately conjure summer images. However when reading the descriptions of the changing seasons, I can almost smell the grass, and feel the warmth of the sun.

Thinking about summer, though, makes me think about long holidays from school or uni, spent lying under a cloudless sky on prickly green grass, with a Charles Dickens, or Jane Austen novel, or sometimes a motivational book.

I miss having a patch of grass out the back!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, The Wind in the Willows is a good choice! All that "messing about in boats" - very summery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the grass does seem somehow connected to summer reading. Dickens and Austen are perfect choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of one, either, although The Wind in the Willows is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take advantage of the holiday you sengan as well as possible. Thank you

    ReplyDelete