Thursday, June 11, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Niche

This week's prompt: There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read (Novels for example). But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect souffle. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that. What niche books do YOU read?

I will read pretty much anything that seems to be relevant to me at the time- I have been known to read dry business books, trading books, become a millionaire type books (I'm reading One Minute Millionaire at the moment) camera manuals, even self-help titles... None of these are really niche type books though, at least I don't think so. The business section in a bookstore is one of the most popular sections, and there are lots of camera enthusiasts out there.

Maybe the closest read I had to a niche read is a book called Beauty Sleep. I can't remember the author's name, but it was about, obviously, how to get a good night's sleep as well as the way that we can actually change our appearance and lose weight by getting the right amount of sleep. It was very interesting, had some good suggestions, but...I am still an insomniac!

Oh, actually I have just thought of a couple more books that would probably fall into this category, but which I haven't read yet. The first is a book about how to listen to music. Can't remember the title or the author, but it teaches the reader to analyse a piece of music intelligently to be able to define what it is they like or dislike about a piece.

The second is a book about the history and meaning of colour as used in art, and the way that certain colours were developed in the art world. Wish I could remember the title.

I think those qualify as niche titles, although I can't really claim them as my own niche reads yet!


18 comments:

  1. I included the non-fiction topics that interest me most at the moment in my BTT post, although none of them are really niche topics - sewing, cooking, Australian history and railway history.

    I also enjoy art books and reading maths books of all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I though this weeks BTT was great, it's nice to see what kind of interest my fellow bloggers have!

    Here's my BTT post.

    Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choices :) I also like this weeks topic, something a little different than the regular book!
    www.thesocialfrog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog- I like the sound of The Beauty Sleep Book, I could do with a few tips on how to get a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Beauty Sleep is what I need. I am an insomniac!

    Booking through niche

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot about my books on sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Beauty Sleep was great, and it actually helped me while I practiced the techniques. But - I moved to another country, left the book in storage, and am back to bad habits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting a good night's sleep sounds like a good one. I should get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color one sounds right up my alley. Here are mine: (1) and (2)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how great another cat lover!!!! We have 4.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so enjoying looking at all the responses to this question.

    That color book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is reading through the entire manual that came with our new car, right now. If that's not a niche, what is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The one about the history color in art sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting choices! I think I could use the Beauty Sleep book this month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The music book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book about colors in art sounds interesting. I /think/ I've read it or seen it around somewhere, but I'm drawing a blank on what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The books you mention sound really interesting, Shari. The music one especially. I do love music and it would be interesting to examine that more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I definitely need the book on sleeping. Great answer!

    ReplyDelete