Thursday, June 18, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Sci Fi/Fantasy

This week's prompt: One of my favorite sci-fi authors (Sharon Lee) has declared June 23rd Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers Day.

As she puts it:

So! In my Official Capacity as a writer of science fiction and fantasy, I hereby proclaim June 23 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day! A day of celebration and wonder! A day for all of us readers of science fiction and fantasy to reach out and say thank you to our favorite writers. A day, perhaps, to blog about our favorite sf/f writers. A day to reflect upon how written science fiction and fantasy has changed your life.

So … what might you do on the 23rd to celebrate? Do you even read fantasy/sci-fi? Why? Why not?


I haven't read much Science Fiction, but recently I picked up some Stephen Baxter at a used book sale. I have to say I am struggling a bit to finish it. Maybe I just need to find the right author. I am looking forward to reading some other comments on this topic to hopefully get some new reading ideas.


Fantasy on the other hand, I love! I read a lot of fantasy in high school, for some reason our school library was well stocked in that department. I don't really remember any of it, or even the authors, but do remember it was an enjoyable read. I love being able to escape into a different world, one where good is very good and evil is recognised as just that. Where an ordinary person is compelled by circumstances to become a champion of good, and where (at least in all the fantasy I have read!) good always defeats evil.


I only discovered Lord of the Rings in uni, when my brother gave me the trilogy as a Christmas gift. The first time I read it, I didn't really enjoy it. But then a few months later I was stuck with nothing to read, and turned to Tolkein, thinking it would at least fill up my spare time. This second reading, however, changed my view completely - all of a sudden, I loved LOTR! I still enjoy re-reading it from time to time.

At around the same time, a friend gave me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and as soon as I got to the end I rushed out to buy the rest that had been published up to that date.


More recently I discovered Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch. I thought this was like Harry Potter for adults, and again had to rush out and read the rest of the series. I love how he twisted perceptions of who was good and bad, what was right and wrong, and what was merely compromise.


That's about it though - I would like to read more fantasy, but there are just so many authors out there, and I don't know where to start - recommendations warmly welcomed! As for what I will do on the 23rd to celebrate Science Fiction and Fantasy Writer's Day, I don't know. Would love to re-read some of these authors, but I don't have any of their titles with me. Will have to go digging and see if I can find any fantasy in my TBR stash. Or maybe I will try my hand at some fantasy writing - that would be an appropriate challenge...


8 comments:

  1. I love the lord of the ring since the 1st time I read it...it was an amazing world.

    I also like sci-fi by Crichton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how I forgot about The Lord of the Rings!! I read The Hobbit and the trilogy in high school. Good answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter, not interest in either. I tried but it just would not happen.
    www.thesocialfrog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not do a post about Harry Potter on June 23rd?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on sci-fi. I love tv shows and movies on that theme, but reading it is another matter. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read very little fantasy, but I do like the occasional sci fi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not big on Sci-fi or fantasy, but I will read them occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shari! I enjoy fantasy and sci-fi. I loved LOTR when I first read it many years ago. I also have the complete Harry Potter set but only read up to Book 4. I hope to complete them when the mood strikes again. Sergei Lukyanenko's books are in my TBR too. :)

    ReplyDelete