Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - Soulmates

I married my soulmate.

From the first day we met we were great friends, and it blossomed from there.

It is so amazing to love someone who is so different to you, and yet you just "click" and you complement each other; you get each other's weird sense of humour (no-one else gets my humour) you make up stories that only the 2 of you can share, you don't need whole senstences...you don't even need words a lot of the time!

My most amazing soulmate story: I was telling AL about seeing the complete works of Shakespeare in a bookstore, and how I had decided not to buy it as I was a bit short of cash at that time. I thought he had a funny look on his face, but didn't think too much about it. Later, he pulled out a copy of the complete works of Shakespeare that he had been planning to give me that night!

I do feel a bit uncomfortable sometimes the way that "popular culture" (for want of a more descriptive name) bandies the idea of a soul mate around. No matter how great the person, every relationship takes work. It seems to me that the idea of a perfect match, that elusive soul mate, is an excuse for people to leave realtionships that could be amazing with a bit of work from both sides.

Remember the episode of the Simpsons, where Homer goes looking for his soul mate, only to find that she was at home waiting for him?

5 comments:

  1. yeah.. I remember that episode of simpsons.
    Relationships do take work, but for some people the grass always look greener on the other side.. Pity them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi :) I like the look and content of your blog! and I look forward to coming back often :)
    how sweet that he had the books for you!! that is true love!
    :)
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shair,
    I don't watch much TV, but I do read Shakespeare. This is a delightful soul mate story!
    I would love to answer your current post regarding books, but this insomniac would overflow your blog. I'll try to narrow down my book choices or email you.
    I'm glad I found you the other day (I think through Skywatch FRi) and delighted that you also love to write and read! (I don't know why I can't sign in on any blogger blog with my direct typepad link, but this link will give you one more click to my place.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ArtsyLynne, thank you so much for your lovely comment! I have tried to view your blog, but get a message that the link is broken. I hope you see this message and can tell me how to find it!

    ReplyDelete