Saturday, May 9, 2009

Feline Friends & Breaking the Golden Rule

Yesterday, at the relatively early hour of 10.30am (early at least for a Friday morning) AL and I set off for the used book sale in support of the charity Feline Friends. How appropriate - a charity that combines two of my most favourite things! We spent half an hour browsing and came away with the following treasures: 


Hours of good reading. Even though I haven't finished the books I got from the used book sale at our Church.  Luckily for me, the last books that people want to read seem to be the classics - so I always walk away with all of those, and if I am lucky, some of the better modern literature too. There is a lot of pulp fiction to wade through before you find the little bits of literary treasure. It seems like it is going to be much cheaper for me to buy books this way, than to pay to sign up with the library on a yearly basis, and I get to add to my collection for that glorious day when I have my own library inside our very own house. One day...

Guess what, I found a dress for the work dinner we are attending. After only 4 hours of searching through EVERY shop in the biggest mall in Dubai, I found it! My husband is a very patient man. One thing I have learnt on this shopping expedition though - I either have to put on a bit of weight to fill out a size 10, or lose a bit so that I can get the zips done up on an 8! It makes life difficult being between sizes. If it looks alright on the night, I might post a photo of me actually wearing the dress. We'll see. 

To celebrate finding the dress, we thought we would have a cup of tea outside and then watch the Dubai Mall Fountain, which neither of us had seen before. When we got to the restaurant we were told it was the official opening of the Dubai Mall Fountain, so we decided to have dinner there and wait around to see it. It is quite a spectacular sight, with the jets of water from the fountain lit up with different lighting effects, and put to music. People ooohed and aaaahed, and some who were standing close got quite wet. I would love to show you some photos, but I broke the golden rule for photographers- always always always carry your camera with you. I could not believe that I had left it at home, and even condecended to take some (terrible) shots with my phone. Sorry. But if you want to have a look at the action, there is a great video on youtube: 


We were sitting in a restaurant in the building to the left of the screen, and directly in front of us and across the water (out of the shot unfortunately) is the Burj Dubai, the world's tallest building, yet to be completed. I think they say the fountain is also the world's tallest, as in the height that the jets of water reach. It was spectacular watching these jets of water climb higher and higher into the air against the backdrop of the Burj.  

No comments:

Post a Comment