Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - Disconnected

This week's prompt for Sunday Scribblings is - Disconnected 

For an entire month after arriving here I felt disconnected from family, friends, and the rest of the world. 

We had stepped into the world's fastest growing city, but had at least expected to find the basics in our new apartment. There was no internet connection, no telephone connection, no television. No mail services. Obviously this lack of even basic communications made me feel isolated from my family - no email, no skype, no post. And with no news or current affairs, out of touch with the rest of the world. No repeats of the Simpsons, or Aussie crime dramas to fill the time. 

Nowhere to walk. There were no footpaths - just construction and dust and noise. And a 10 lane freeway. Usually I love to walk everywhere to explore a new city, to get a feel for the way that the people live, and to feel like a part of the community, as though, even if temporarily, I belong.

Disconnection from so many elements of my life for one entire month. 

Thankfully the connection of internet has seen me reconnect with much of my world. 


On a lighter note: people here in Dubai have apparently had their electricity disconnected for - wait for it - paying their bills too early!

Only in Dubai!

4 comments:

  1. how odd you would get punished for paying bills early!!

    i think the expat life is fascinating but i would definitely feel the disconnect if i lived elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a place to be! Fascinating... I can imagine that you'd feel disconnected, at least for a while...until some of the services kick in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys thanks for your comments. I have lived overseas before, but never felt so disconnected as I have here. It is only getting better, however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure - can't wait to hear more as you become more connected in your new home!

    http://www.delenemartin.com

    ReplyDelete