Thursday, May 14, 2009

First Booking Through Thursday Attempt

Mariel suggested this week's question:Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?

Aaaaaaaah, Mariel, how did you know! Yes I confess - though a voracious reader, I can't keep up with the number of books that I buy. And I will admit to walking into certain big name bookstores, and glancing around with a greedy eye!

I used to work in one such big name bookstore. When staff discount day rolled around my husband (who shamelessly supports and even feeds my addiction) and I would make several visits after work, and each time stumble home with bulging shopping bags, and happy hearts. We excused our greedy buying habits because we knew such wonderful days would not last forever - and indeed with our relocation to the desert, they have come to an end. 

But...I have discovered something better than staff discount days. Used book sales. Just last week, we bought about 20 pre-loved tomes for the cost of a single brand new book! And the best thing is, the profits from these used book sales go to very worthy charities here in Dubai. 

I do not curb my book buying habits - I do not feel a need to. My ultimate dream is to have our own house, with a massive, old-fashioned library, a place of reference and reflection, somewhere to go for a cup of tea or a glass of red, a quiet read. No doubt at least one purring cat, maybe a fireplace, definitely one of those old-fashioned day bed/sofa things. So every book purchase I make, I view as an investment in this ultimate dream. 

Others would call it book gluttony! 

11 comments:

  1. You worked in a bookstore? Oh my. I'd have to sign my paycheck over if I did that!

    You can find my answer here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know if I should tell you this, but they let us borrow books as well! You could have 2 books for up to 4 weeks! It was the easiest job I ever had, and the most perks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So every book purchase I make, I view as an investment in this ultimate dream". Couldn't agree more. My dream is also to have a huge library in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet - the rest of my house can be small and I won't mind! Glad someone else gets "the dream"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you with a husband who supports your addiction. I have to sneak my big bags of books into the house. My hubby just doesn't understand me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I am single, I don't have to worry about a husband at all!

    I buy what I fancy and how many I fancy!

    Book gluttons, are we?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instead of buying I borrow from the local library. I always borrow too many though and always have to bring back books that I haven't read. But I keep them on my TBR list with the hope that I will borrow it again or break down and buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked part-time in a bookstore once, and most of my check went to books. I have started going to my library a lot more though and that has helped greatly. My TBR pile is still huge though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proud to be one, but I try not to buy. I grab the ones that I'm most desperate to read and leave the rest on a list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to share your addiction with hubby! Mine just doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments guys. Yeah, I am really lucky to have a husband who gets it. One of our favorite things is to read together (out loud or individually), so it is very special. For those of you who borrow rather than buy - I would like to do that too but library membership here is expensive. Cheaper to buy used books!

    ReplyDelete