Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Scribblings #165 - Covert

A furtive glance on all sides, and the black-clad stranger in the neighboring yard crept closer to the open window on the ground floor. He froze as he glimpsed me, framed in my bathroom window next door. His sharp, cunning face and maliciously flashing amber eyes softened promptly into a look of innocent unconcern. 

I stepped back from my window, feigning inattention, waited, then stole another glance. The dark stranger was again covertly observing his surroundings. I was just in time to see him spring lightly onto the stool outside the window. Again, he looked around, but I drew back and he didn't see me. 

Stealthily, one step into the gloomy window recess, then another; he wiggled his soft little body through the security bars, then swift as lightning his black back paws and shiny black tail disappeared too. 


No doubt the cat burglar was after the resident feline's lunch.  

14 comments:

  1. loved this!!! wonderful twist! I'm a cat person as well, so this was especially entertaining for me! -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, I actually saw this happen! It was the neighborhood bad cat, notorious for climbing into other people's apartments, terrorising their cats and goodness knows what else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - had me there for a minute - entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice story...
    what you're doing in the Dubai? teaching?
    what's it like living there?
    I have a friend who's living there and all I see on her fb is party pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lion-ess, my husband is working - I am still looking for a job. So the answer is blogging! And touristy stuff on weekends.

    Hi Dee, thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent twist at the end.
    Love "cat burglar" stories.
    Thanks for stopping by mine
    Have an excellent week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats = trouble. I know, I have two. I loved the "swift as lightning" -- a great image for a black cat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great tale and great cat pics too!
    thx for your nice comment Shari
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very entertaining i must say...loved it.

    http://songofsea.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/a-dream-come-true/

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice touch with the last line! this is cute.

    ReplyDelete